How to Create a Capsule Wardrobe for Travelling

Making the decision to go travelling meant I would be spending at least a year living out of a backpack. This could only mean that I'd have to fit everything I need into said backpack including my wardrobe. Now obviously I could not put my whole wardrobe into my backpack so I needed to decide what to take and what not to take. 

Now I love clothes so this was going to be a hard task for me but also something I really wanted to try anyway. I have spoken before about fast fashion and its impact on the environment and one way to try and reduce this negative impact is a capsule wardrobe. A reduced wardrobe means that you have less items but they are quality pieces that you really love to wear and you don't feel the need to keep buying new things. Creating a capsule travel wardrobe allowed me to go through all my clothes and realise what I loved and wanted to take to the other side of the world and the stuff that I could probably live without. Here's a few tips on how to decide what to take on your adventure. 

  1. Versatility - I'd recommend taking items that can be styled with a lot of the other things you are taking with you. There's not much point in taking a skirt that only matches with that one top because it's likely that it will spend most of it's time sat in you backpack and not getting worn. I opted for a lot of black and white items as they can be worn with pretty much any other colour. 
  2. Seasons - Figure out what season or seasons it's going to be whilst you are there. I knew I would be in New Zealand for a year so will experience most of the seasons and therefore need to take clothes for all weathers. 
  3. Make Notes - Write down or take photos of the clothes you always reach for time and time again. Chances are these are the clothes you feel most comfortable in and make you feel your best. These are the items you should take with you as you know how much you love them and that you will definitely wear them. 
  4. Comfort is Key - This is one that I struggled with a lot as I have a lot clothes that I adore but they aren't the comfiest. For example, my Levi shorts are obviously amazing but some of the stitching around the top is itchy and they can be just a bit uncomfortable. It took me a long time to just accept that if I took them I would either never wear them or wear them and be super uncomfortable. Try things on and see how they feel.
  5. Invest - Sometimes it might be worth investing in items that will last you a long time especially if you feel there is a staple item missing from your wardrobe. For me it was a thick black jumper, which I somehow didn't own. I got myself a new one from &other stories before my travels as I knew I would wear it to death and well I have! 
  6. Be Realistic - I know you want to take everything. I remember thinking, but maybe I'll need a blazer, or maybe I'll really need to take 3 pairs of jeans with me but chances are you really wont. Watch youtube videos and read blog posts about what people take travelling with them to give you a realistic insight. 
I personally found it super helpful to know what people took with them on their travels so here's my inventory:
  • 4 t-shirts, 3 strappy t-shirts and 1 long sleeve top
  • 2 x shorts
  • 1 x jeans, 2 x cullotes, 1 x comfy smart trousers (I definitely did not need this many trousers!)
  • 1 denim skirt 
  • 2 x dresses
  • 5 x underwear/socks 
  • 2 bras, 1 x swimwear
  • 1 x sandals, 1 x Doc Martens, 1 x trainers, 1 x walking boots
  • 1 x pyjama bottoms
I hope this was useful for you when planning your capsule travel wardrobe! 


Facebook | Twitter | Bloglovin | Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts