5 Things I learnt from #GIRLBOSS

So I finally finished the #GIRLBOSS book by Sophia Amoruso and I'm in the process of watching the Netflix series. Whenever I flipped through the pages of Sophia's story on starting Nasty Gal from a simple Ebay store, I was filled with inspiration to get off my butt and actually do something, perhaps not exactly what I need when I'm just about to go to sleep but it was pretty damn good nonetheless. Here are 5 things I learnt from the book that will undoubtedly turn me into one hell of a #GIRLBOSS. 



1. How to Save Money. I have some pretty big plans that I need to save for and when you don't earn a lot, that can be hard. Sophia imparts wisdom on us all by giving us a life saving saving tip - save 10% of whatever you earn. If you earn £100, save £10, if you earn £1000 save £100 etc. Doing this is better than saving nothing because you think you can't afford it. Saving something is better than nothing and I seriously need to remember that. 

2. Do what you love. Sometimes people will try and crush your dreams, sometimes unintentionally, by telling you that your goals aren't realistic or it will never make you rich but at the end of the day, if you don't try, you won't know. Have a go at your dreams, be realistic about them and be cautious but go for it girl. 

3. You don't need to grow up fast. I've recently written posts talking about becoming an adult but don't come under the illusion that you have to grow up as soon as you leave education and get a job, it's ok to wing it and not have a plan. Just go with the flow and do what makes you happy and don't make anybody make you grow up too fast. You're only young once so embrace it and to be honest, most people older than you are just winging it and doing the best they can. 

4. CV Skills. One of the most helpful things that #GIRLBOSS taught me was CV and cover letter skills. You kind of get told how to write them when at school but not properly for the life changing career sort of jobs. Sophia lets us know, from an employer's perspective, what to put in your CV and cover letter to really grab someone's attention. For example, don't just write about what you want in a cover letter, be sure to include what you will bring to a company. #GIRLBOSS also gives some awesome interview tips such as genuine enthusiasm for the position. Definitely check it out if you're in need of some pointers. 

5. Ignore the haters. Don't listen to those who try to bring you down. By all means take constructive criticism but if someone is pooping on your ideas and dreams, ignore them, you will never succeed with that negativity in your life. 

I definitely recommend #GIRLBOSS if you're in need of some motivation and get started on 'adulthood'. You can ace this. 


Don't forget to like my Facebook page and follow me on bloglovin and instagram: amyleehaynes!

Comments

Popular Posts