Coping with Results Day: Feelings and Options

A vast amount of students will be receiving their GCSE and A-Level results on Thursday. If you're one of those people, you're probably feeling anxious and fretting over what your grades are going to be. Have I done well enough? Have I met my targets or predicted grades? Will I be able to continue to my first choice of college or university? You're all feeling the same emotions and this is totally normal. There are a few different outcomes of how tomorrow could go for you. I thought I'd run you through what your options are for each outcome and try and put your mind at rest and feel a lot less nervous for the day. 

Source
Scenario 1: You exceed your targets/expectations This  is what we're all hoping for, whether outwardly or just thinking it to yourself, we'd all love to get a few grades higher than our target. If you've put in the hard work this could well be you. If it is, chances are you will be able to easily take your next step. This might mean, you'll be accepted to your desired college or apprenticeship. If you're off to uni, it might mean you've easily got your place at your top choices of uni. If this is you, you may also consider going through clearing/contacting universities to get a place at a university with higher entry requirements. You should talk to your tutor about this on the day.  
Scenario 2: You meet your target On Thursday, you might get what you were predicted or targeted to get, in which case you've done everything you need to do. You've most likely chosen appropriate options for your next step that are suited to your grades and will everything will go smoothly. 


Source


Scenario 3: You don't reach your targets, but you still pass This can be a bit of an annoying situation to be in because you're annoyed that you didn't do as well as you wanted but you feel like you should be happy with the fact that you passed. It's okay to be disappointed but there are still options. If you're at GCSE level, your passing grade will probably be enough to get you into college/an apprenticeship as they mainly look for passes in core subjects. If you're at A Level and you're not happy with your result because it means you have to settle for a uni you don't want to go to or if you're at AS Level and you're worried it wont be enough to get your overall A-Level grade you want, consider retaking the exam next summer. You will know what you have to do to do better but you also know that no matter what happens in the retake, you will always have a passing grade to fall back on so don't worry!! 
Scenario 4: You completely fail. Now this is what we are all worried about. If this happens to you, remember don't worry, there are options! As I said in the last scenario, you can retake the exam next  year. This option is usually offered for both GCSE and A-Level and provides you with a chance to try again. Remember we can't always get it right first time. I once retook an exam about 6 times so don't worry! An alternative option is to reconsider what it is that you want to do. Perhaps exams and the academic route aren't for you and if that's the case, that's ok, we're all good at different things. If you're feeling like this, you should probably talk to your tutor or if you're lucky enough to have a career advisor, talk to them. They will point you in the right direction. 

I think the key is not to worry. If you pass or exceed your targets, that's great and you shall be well on your way to the next step in your future. If you didn't pass, it's not the end of the world and you will be able to make things right whether that's through retaking or changing your course of action. It will all be ok! So, give this another read on Thursday night and get a good night's sleep. All will be okay and I wish you all the best of luck! 

Source

Are you receiving exam results this week? How are you feeling about them? 

Don't forget to like my Facebook page and follow me on bloglovin and instagram: amyleehaynes!

Comments

  1. I get my exam results next week (GCSE results are 20th of August) and I'm really freaking out, I don't know if you heard about the GCSE maths exm this year but there was a couple really difficult questions, and I have to get a B to do the courses I want to do in college. I'm stressing a lot but thank you for this post, it reminded me there are always ways around things.
    -Cait xx

    Passionate-mind.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the difficulty of the exam will reflect in the ground boundaries. I really hope results day goes well for you, I wish you the best of luck. I'm really glad my post helped you out! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I will reply to your comment but you can also tweet me at @amyleehaynes or e-mail me at: amyleehaynes@hotmail.co.uk

Popular Posts